Archive for November, 2011

NBA Season looking unlikely this year

By Amy | November 14th, 2011

As time ticks away without an NBA season, the refusal of the players to meet owners’ demands continues. Today marked a key day in the discussions – one where David Stern offered 51% profits to the players, leaving the team owners with 49% to pay for – well – pretty much everything else from team management to a full staff of people hired to take care of the players. But it’s not enough.

Where does that leave the NBA now? Possibly nowhere for the 2011-2012 season, at least, and it’s a given that the lack of a season is going to have an effect on future sales. Given that the exorbitant player salaries wouldn’t be so exorbitant in the first place if the NBA weren’t so profitable, this seems like a self-defeating play that can’t end well.

Hockey’s looking better than ever.